At Made we relish a challenge so the restoration of two historical warehouses; the 1889 New York and Brooklyn tobacco factory and the 1938 Demco Machinery Company warehouse into one flagship residential and commercial development sparked our attention. With distinct elements and historical appeal that spanned two significant centuries, Cleveland & Co required an assimilated approach.
Cleveland & Co comprised of 38 apartments over three levels, a communal rooftop garden and boutique offering of restaurants and retail on street level. The L-shaped building provided maximum street frontage therefore original elements such as the timber panelled windows were retained. The expansive cast iron columns and exposed painted brick remained as a feature, contributing to both the historical and modern character of the building.